Open today: 10:00am - 5:30pm

Arrow bundle


This bundle of arrows is one of several found across the ship’s decks. This specific set was found on the main deck, towards the front of the ship at the base of a companionway leading to the upper deck. These were found stored in their original leather spacer, which would have been attached to a leather sheath, forming an arrow bag that would have been worn on the archer’s belt.

Within the Anthony Roll, 9,600 arrows were listed as being carried upon the Mary Rose in 1545. However, approximately 10,136 arrows were found during the excavations, split between 2,302 complete arrows and 7,834 fragments. Of those assessed, 77% were identified as being made of poplar, with the remaining 23% being predominantly birch and alder.