The Mary Rose was built between 1510-1511 by a company owned by John Dawtrey, a Southampton-based merchant and landowner, as well as the local tax collector. Crew uniforms of white and green were provided by Richard Palshide of Southampton, the reused guns were repaired by Cornelis Johnson of London, flags, banners and streamers were provided by William Botrys and John Browne, both of London.
The earliest crew names we get are those of her masters John Clerke (September 1511) and Thomas Sperte (October 1511-at least August 1513), and pursers David Boner (October 1511 - January 1512) and John Lawden (November 1511 – January 1512)
The first captain we have a name for is Thomas Wyndham (April-July 1512), who served under the Chief Captain, and Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Edward Howard (April 1512 – May 1513).
After Howard’s death at the Siege of Brest, his brother Thomas Howard took command (May 1513-June 1522), which leads us to getting a long list of crew for May-August 1513, including the Captain Edward Braye, Surgeon Robert Symson and his assistant Henry Yonge, Purser John Brerely, ‘Gunner’ Andrew Fysche, and her Master, still Thomas Sperte.
Edward Braye remained as Captain until February 1514, when he was replaced by Sir Henry Sherburn. In March, Thomas Sperte was replaced as master by John Brown, who remained in the role until at least June 1522. Sperte (sometimes spelled Spert) would later go on to hold the title of Clerk Controller of the King’s Ships, and receive a knighthood!